First Monster High Custom Success!
Sometimes, well most of the time, I fear failure. I fear it quite a lot actually to a crippling degree. Now I know this is a pretty serious way to start off a post about repainting a child’s toy, but something compelled me to speak about it. The fear of failure hangs over me all the time and it’s hard for me to shake. Even for small things such as this I find myself avoiding it and then watching compilations of bloopers on Youtube. So when I’m able to push through it, no matter how mundane or ludicrous the final result is, it’s kind of a big mental victory for me! I put my mind to a project, worked through my ideas, pressed on through mistakes, and the outcome was final product that I was (mostly) proud of!
The downside is that the victory is short lived, because you can’t help but point out flaws, what you should do next time, and all the other projects you have to complete; but that’s definitely what keeps artists going. Some artists have an easier time than others riding that mental wave. I usually need to hide in a closet for a few days… weeks… years…
On a positive note, the outcome of this project has pushed me to try another Monster High repaint/custom. I purchased a 17 inch Draculaura and plan to make similar eye modifications and maybe even do a full alpaca fiber reroot! Once I start getting better at working with vinyl dolls I’ll be able to share how I work with everyone. In the meantime, I will be working on completing BJD commissions. So stay tuned for those!